Can I just try to tell you how much I LOVE Indian food and starting KETO I was soooo worried about all the food I wouldn’t be able to have I had no idea the variety of food I would be able to have. AND how delicious and satisfying everything would be. I am NOT missing all the foods I was so scared I would AND I’m losing fat eating amazing food. I have been able adjust my fav regular recipes to KETO once I had enough knowledge under my belt. I was making this dish while my husband was out running errands, and he came in and was like “it smells so good, what is it?” You have to understand my husband is not KETO and prefers to get his own meals. He tried my Indian Butter Chicken on the stove and LOVED it! AND let’s talk about the Saffron Turmeric Cauli Rice! SO delicious. Seriously, I do not miss basmatti rice, or any rice like I thought I would on the KETO diet…never mind when I started I had no idea it would become a KETO Lifestyle. I had no idea that losing weight would feel so good, and be able to eat such good food! Seriously still blows me away from all I the false weight loss info that had been crammed down my throat since I was a kid.
The key to this recipe, IMO, is to make sure slow you brown the onions for about 20 min on med-low heat in butter. Browning the onions brings out their sweetness, and are just so delicious. I usually just prep the cauliflower rice and stir the onions throughout the browning process. One change I prefer that is different from most Butter Chicken recipes is that I do not add sour cream. I don’t think it needs it. Seriously delicious.
Oh, one more thing before I share my recipe…I am not a fan of spicy food so please add cayenne pepper or anything else to achieve the heat you prefer.
KETO Indian Butter Chicken
The aroma alone of this dish is out of this world. You will never need Indian take away, or ever need to miss out on excellent Indian food eating KETO with this recipe. Serve with Saffron Turmeric Cauliflower Rice (recipe below) and a veggie on the side like steamed buttered broccoli for a complete healthy keto meal. Add this recipe to your keto lifestyle.
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 in cubes
2 T curry seasoning*
1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 T lemon juice
2 T butter
1-2 T garlic, to taste
1 T tomato paste
1 c heavy whipping cream
*NOTE: Curry seasonings is a blend of cumin, turmeric, coriander, chile, mustard, cardamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cayenne, cinnamon, black pepper, saffron. My pick is by The Spice Hunter which is salt free. If you do not have this, then use about 2 tsp garam masala**, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp chili powder.
**Garam Masala is another seasoning mix, so if you don’t have this you can add 1/2 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp cardamom, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/8 tsp cloves, and 1/8 tsp nutmeg to the other spices listed in the above NOTE.
1) In a bowl or plastic bag, add the diced, chicken, curry seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and lemon juice to marinade the chicken. Preferably marinade for at least two hours, but it is still delicious and flavorful if you let it marinade while slicing and browning the onions.
2) In a dutch oven or large saute pan, add the butter and sliced onions. Brown the onions on med-low heat for at least 20 min. This brings out the sweetness of the onions. Stir intermittently, and prep and cook the cauliflower rice (recipe below).
3) Once the onions are browned, add the spice marinaded chicken and garlic. Cook the chicken through on medium heat.
4) Add the tomato paste, and stir until completely incorporated.
5) Add the cream, stir, and cook until slightly reduced but do not boil. If needed, turn down the heat to simmer. Serve with cauliflower rice, garnish with chopped cilantro, and enjoy! Svādiṣṭa KETO! That’s delicious in Hindi.
KETO Saffron Turmeric Cauliflower “Rice”
If you love tangy sweet broccoli salad, you will love this keto version which does not skimp on flavor and will keep you burning fat!
4 c grated cauliflower*
4 T butter
1 tsp onion powder
*frozen grated cauliflower, or fresh grated cauliflower
a cube chicken bouillon, crushed
1 T turmeric
2 pinches saffron threads (optional)
4 T water
salt to taste, if needed
1) Melt the butter in a large saute pan or dutch oven on medium heat. Add the onion powder, chicken bouillon, turmeric, saffron, and water. Stir until combined.
2) Add the grated cauliflower. Stir until evenly coated with butter mix. Saute until tender. Strain any excess moisture. Serve with your favorite dish. Enjoy!
Keto Broccoli Beef & Keto Cauliflower Rice
Keto Hawaiian Teriyaki Grilled Chicken, Grilled Veggies & Keto Coconut Cauliflower “Rice”