Who doesn’t miss comfort foods when you are trying to lose weight? I know I do!!! Thankfully you do NOT have to miss out on KETO. I LOVE Beef Stroganoff, and the wheels just started turning to make a keto friendly version of this delicious comfort food. I mean what more do you want? Eat delicious, satisfying meals to burn massive amounts of fat! Yes please! You will love this meal. Before you know it, you won’t be missing the noddles! My biggest fear starting KETO was breads and pasta. I can tell you 6 weeks in, I do not miss it at all! Steam up a head of cauliflower, which is packed with vitamins and fibre, scoop on the Beef Stroganoff, and dig in. It may not be the most photogenic dish on the planet, but it is oh SO YUMMY! Only 4g carbs per serving. Win win!!!
The one thing that was stumping me from converting all my favorite culinary creations to KETO friendly was finding a way to thicken sauces without adding a crazy amount of carbs. I knew I needed a KETO alternative to cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soups which are a main ingredient to many of my favorite dishes. I have since learned that making a cream sauce using a thickener like cornstarch or zanthan gum opened a whole new world of KETO meals for me.
I know you are wondering how on earth cornstarch could be KETO friendly. Know that there are about 7g of carbs in a tablespoon of cornstarch, and you can use half the amount you would have used flour to thicken a sauce. Xanthan gum is made from vegetable fibers that absorb liquids to thicken a sauce, and have 6-9g of carbs per tablespoon depending on the brand. I did order xanthan gum to try it out, and it is safe to say I will be using cornstarch from now on because it is more cost effective, and thickens just as well.
Keto Beef Stroganoff
Wondering how you will be able to give up your favorite comfort foods to lose weight? Well you don’t on the KETO diet! You get to eat very satisfying and delicious meals while converting your body to burn its own fat! AND you will have more energy, sleep better, think clearly, and not get gnarly cranky on a low calorie diet that only reduces your metabolism. KETO actually raises your metabolism too! So many health benefits, so now all you have to do is learn to cook KETO meals. If you love Beef Stroganoff, you will love this recipe. You won’t miss the noodles either. Steam up a head of cauliflower, dish up some sauce, and dig in! So yummy!
2 T butter
1/2 diced onion
2 T or 2 cloves minced garlic
1 lb ground beef
1 c beef stock, or bullion
1 package sliced mushrooms
4 oz cream cheese (optional to lighten it up)
1 c heavy whipping cream
2 tsp pink Himalayan salt, or to taste
2 tsp cornstarch or xanthan gum
1 c sour cream
1 head cauliflower, cleaned and steamed
1) In a sauté pan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic to sauté.
2) Add the ground beef to brown with the onion and garlic. Cook through.
3) Add the beef stock and mushrooms. Cover until the mushrooms are cooked through. Stir intermittently.
4) Add the cream cheese (optional and you can leave out for a lighter dish), heaven whipping cream, and salt to season. Stir until evenly combined. Taste at this point to make sure the seasoning is on point. If the sauce is not rich enough, add more beef bullion or more salt. I personally like adding more bullion.
5) If using cornstarch, add to 1/4 c water to make a slurry before adding to the sauce; stir until thickened. If you are using xanthan gum, just sprinkle on top and stir in. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer until desired thickness. If the sauce if not thick enough, add more cornstarch or xantham gum in the same manner.
6) Serve on top of the steamed cauliflower, and enjoy!
NOTE: TO freeze this dish, follow the directions but omit all dairy which does not freeze well; once thawed, add the dairy to your dish.