Since starting the ketogenic way of eating, and lost 16 lbs in the first month on top of feeling great and enjoying what I can eat, I have been converting my favorite regular recipes into keto friendly recipes and they are turning out so yummy! My most recent one is Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu and Keto Broccoli Salad. Oh man, I am salivating as I type this. AND they are so easy its almost criminal I am losing weight eating this stuff!
I was planning my husband’s birthday BBQ for friends and family who are not eating keto, and of course all the wonderful summer salads came to mind. Now that I have educated myself on keto and the science behind it, I can almost read a non keto recipe and instantly come up with a keto friendly version. Let’s face it, if you can enjoy eating while losing serious fat then the sky is the limit! The chicken cordon bleu was a momentary whim that I was able to throw together, and voila! An easy, delicious, filling keto meal was added to my keto repettoire!
Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu
If you love the tangy zip of swiss cheese along with juicy chicken and sweet ham, but you don’t want to be kicked out of ketosis, then you don’t need to look any further! This will satisfy your craving and keep you burning fat. This recipe is for one serving, but can be easily multiplied to the desired number of servings.
boneless chicken breast
2 slices of Swiss cheese
2 slices ham deli meat
2 T butter
1) Butterfly your chicken breast. Tenderize it between two layers of plastic wrap until it is evenly thin.
2) Layer the cheese and ham on top of the chicken breast. Roll it up with the seam (opening) down.
3) Heat a skillet on med, and add the butter.
4) Once the butter is melted, add the rolled chicken with the seam down to cook first. Cook without moving for 4 min.
5) Turn the chicken roll to cook on the top for 4 min. Repeat turning so all sides are completely cooked.
6) Check that the chicken is cooked through. Once cooked, remove and let sit for 3-5 min before eating. ENjoy!
Keto Broccoli Salad
If you love tangy sweet broccoli salad, you will love this keto version which does not skimp on flavor and will keep you burning fat!
4 c broccoli florets, cut to bite size pieces
1/2 red onion, diced
1 c shredded cheddar
1 c bacon, cooked and chopped
1 c pecans, chopped (omit for allergy)
1/3 cup chia seeds (optional)
1 c full fat mayo
1/4 c ACV (apple cider vinegar)
2-4 T granulated erythritol or similar sugar substitute
1) In a large bowl, add the broccoli, cheddar, bacon, pecans (omit for nut allergy) and optional chia seeds. I like to add chia seeds because they are rick in omega-3 fatty acids, but they are not essential.
2) In a small bowl or larger measuring cup, mix the mayo, ACV, and sugar substitute. Adjust amounts to taste as different sugar substitutes will add a different level of sweetness. Also, if you don’t want as much tang from the ACV, reduce to 4 T.
3) Mix the dressing to the salad ingredients until evenly incorporated. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy!